Front grill cutout

IMG_8428.JPG

Continue reading

Advertisements

Frame extensions

Last night I found a couple of 2 1/2-inch tubes from an old treadmill, which I thought might work to nest inside my frame rails to extend them for working front jack points. Today I set about getting the axles and bearings out of them. Spent two hours.

This old treadmill was built right. The bearings are beefy and they’re carried by some kind of super-tough plastic that’s pressed in. I was able to drive the steel axles out easily with a five pound sledge and a drift, but the bearings and their carriers would not budge with any kind of persuasion I could muster.

I tried drilling around the bearing and broke two bits in the plastic!

Finally I hit on using a hole saw. Luckily I had one the right size to fit over the bearing and still fit in the tube.

IMG_8422.JPG Continue reading

It Begins

May 27 2017

I put in three hours today on the Spyder. The build has begun.

I am starting at the front. My first order of business is to correct my gas tank so the fuel filler will work in the “correct” spot. I began by painting it gold through the hole in the hood, then I broke out the filler system and set it on the spot, and closed the hood.

IMG_8400

Drew a line around it with a sharpie. Continue reading